Sunday, April 24, 2011

Excited for Somerville Open Studios

Sometimes I feel so, soooo computer-illiterate. I just tried to sign up for Twitter and couldn't even do it, and that's supposed to be really user-friendly. I are smart, I guess, lol. I'm excited for Somerville Open Studios next week. My mom is an amazing artist. She assembles all these "found objects" that she hauled out of the dump or found on the side of the road, then she paints them gold, glues all these baubles and rusty pieces of crap to them, puts a little light inside, and welds them and wires them to drift wood and other found stuff. Most people would think of the individual pieces as junk, but when all is said and done, the pieces are incredibly clever and beautiful. I am her biggest fan. So this year for Open studios, she has decided to open their house up to the public, and has included 6 other artists from the family to show their work. My sister Augusta, is showing her handmade jewelry. She made many earrings out of jacaranda seed pods that she picked up off the ground in Bolivia and painted with intricate patterns. She also made very clever earrings out of the cardboard from cereal boxes and images from magazine pages that she glued together and varnished. Beautiful and creative! Then there's me, Sagel, the second daughter. I made a variety of small "charming" paintings as my mom calls them. I did simple images, like flowers, hummingbirds, fruit, flamingos, geckos, etc. I spent a lot of time on them, so they're colorful and intricate. I'm pleased! My aunt Celeste has wonderful handmade sterling silver jewelry. My aunt Julie has made adorable handmade aprons, and my aunt Gwen has lovely handmade pottery. I feel so blessed to come from such a creative, talented family! I'm very excited for Open Studios, and will hopefully have a lot of friends coming through the gallery!

1 comment:

  1. Its a great photo of you and the paintings, are indeed,
    'charming"! Hope to catch up with you soon!

    M

    ReplyDelete